Friday, May 15, 2009
Apparently it is Pens vs Whalers?!?!!?!!
Up here in the greater Hartford area, you can't mention the Hurricanes without discussing the Hartford Whalers.
The Whalers are to Hartford as Crystal Pepsi is to convenience store pop machines. They were awesome when they were there, but they no longer exist.
They are also both great nostalgic 90's references for shitty bloggers to make shitty jokes about.
It is quite sad actually. Everyone I come into contact with in discussion about the NHL Eastern Conference Finals is saying "Should be playing the Whalers" or "Don't let them get to the cup again, I can't handle seeing what should be the Whalers, raise the cup again"
I respond with: 1. I have nothing to do with this series, I will cheer for my team, but I physically can't score goals for the Penguins.
2. The Hurricanes have been around for 12 years now. Get over it.
The Whalers colors just scream, 1986.
Some think they are still relevant and cool. Some think they are actually coming back. AND some still run a Internet hockey club. (Sorry Kataja)
Whatever, the Whalers are now the Hurricanes - the Pens are playing the Hurricanes - that is what is important.
This is my ECF preview by the way, it sucks goats that I have to tell you that.
Here are my series predictions and thoughts:
1. Cam Ward will single handily win a game for the Canes
- Could be the hottest goalie in the playoffs. The Canes will win a game because of Wards dominance.
2. Malkin picks up where Crosby left off.
- Geno scores 5 goals in this series. Including 2 tonight, in Game 1
3.Dumb penalties will cost the Canes.
- There is a history between the Canes, Erik Cole and the Pens, Brooks Orpik. I don't want to go into detail because my dog is eating a wire hanger, and I have to stop that, but.......google it. Orpik broke Cole's neck in '06. Canes think it was a cheap shot and they are out for revenge. Bring it dude. Here is the video -
Orpik got suspended and fined. Apparently I did go into detail........./dog ate the hanger.
Pensblog has more.
4. Craig Adams will score a big goal.
- The dude has slowly become one of my favorite Penguins to watch on the ice.
5. Pens in six.
- Called it. Bring it home boys.
I will be back with more throughout the playoffs. I am pumped for what is going to be a hell of a series. Good goal tending will be aplenty, starting tonight.
What is a Whaler anyways? Do they kill Whales? Isn't that highly illegal?
Hurricanes are lame tornado's with water. Weak sauce.
Lets Go Pens!
LETS GO PENS!
LETS GO PENS!
LETS GO PENS!
In no way, shape, or form is this blog associated with ESPN or any ESPN properties. This blog is simply just a guy writing about his love for sports. Please be aware of this.